Sunday, June 29, 2008

Good weekend...

One more week down, so now the wedding countdown is at 10 weeks. We reassessed our to-do list last night, and I was pleased that we've been so productive over the past couple of weeks. Still plenty to do, but we're definitely crossing things off. I hate saying this because I don't want it to be misunderstood, but I'm really ready for this all to be over with already and for us to get back to our regular lives as a new married couple. I'm ready for the little that I have left over in each paycheck after bills not to get accounted for with things for the wedding. I'm ready for us to have our weekends completely free of taking care of things for the wedding. I'm ready to lay on the beach in the Greek Islands for two weeks.

My left hand is feeling a bit bare at the moment. While we were ordering K's wedding band yesterday, the jeweler noticed that a couple of the stones in my ring, including the center stone, were loose. So, we made a beeline over to BBB to get my ring inspected. Unfortunately, that meant leaving it there for a few days so that they could tighten the stones. Obviously that's better than losing a stone or two, but I miss having it.

I had two races scheduled this weekend, and both were a success in different ways. I convinced one of my co-workers to run the Keep Austin Weird 5k last night. She has just started running, and this was her first race - the farthest that she's run to date, too. I ran with her and encouraged her the entire way. It was such a nice feeling to be able to give back like that. As we were running back on Cesar Chavez, I remembered Gabby doing the same for me on that same stretch at about mile 24-25 of my first marathon a couple of years ago. I was glad to be able to do that for someone else. Afterwards, we hung around and munched on the post-run goodies then went to see What Made Milwaukee Famous. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday evening.

Then, this morning almost turned into the trail race that wasn't for us. Apparently, when the alarm went off around 6am, I unknowingly kept snoozing through it until I woke up with a jolt at around 6:35 (the race started at 7:30 in West Lake). K has a tendency to dawdle, so I was worried that we wouldn't even get out the door until after 7. I threatened him that if he wasn't ready in 10 minutes then I was leaving without him and he could drive himself. He took me seriously and we got out the door and made it to the race start in just enough time for the start. Everyone in our trail group was running the 10k, so it was nice to see some friendly faces to start. I started out running with another girl in our group, but we got jammed up in a slow-moving line of people in the first mile. We finally made our way free, but then I had to stop and tie my shoes so I let her go. I eventually caught back up to her though in the last couple of miles. I felt great in the latter half of the race and finished feeling strong with about a 10-minute improvement from the previous two trail races in the series. This was definitely my favorite race in the series because of how much more confident I felt running on the trail, especially downhill. I had a blast! And, K did too. I think we have essentially decided that we're going to do the trail group for Palo Duro which starts later this month. We went to the awards ceremony for the trail series at Rogue late this afternoon, and I was pleasantly surprised to get a finisher shirt since I ran all three of the races.

No comments: