Monday, May 12, 2008

St. George...

I found out on Friday night when the lottery results for St. George were (finally) posted that I got in for this year. This was precisely what I didn't want to happen because then I would have a decision to make...run this year or defer to next year. It was a really tough decision for me. On the one hand, there's the excitement of getting in and looking forward to running this year, especially since Sadie and Chad are going again. However, with the marathon just under a month away from our wedding, then the timing of it would not be ideal in terms of peaking in my training. We're planning on taking a 2-week honeymoon, so it would make it nearly impossible for me to get in the last 22-24 miler during that period. I still think that if I'm going to BQ anywhere, then it's going to be at St. George with the elevation drop working in my favor. I'm not in BQ shape right now, so I want to make sure that I'm going into training for St. George with my fitness level up and my weight down. So, in the end, I think I made the right decision (besides I think K would have killed me if I decided to train this summer with all of the wedding planning and events coming up). I just called to defer my entry to next year, which means that I will have a guaranteed entry for October, 2009.

In the meantime, I think K and I are going to give trail running a try. This will be a good way to keep me running (without the pressures of marathon training) and to try something different. Rogue has a program that is training for the Palo Duro Trail Run in October, so we are considering doing the 20k "fun run" there.

No comments: