Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Where have I been?

I haven't been blogging much lately. 4 posts in February? I'm not entirely sure what to attribute the decrease to. We've certainly been busy as usual and had our fair share of happenings lately (heck, I even won a trail race this weekend so you'd think that would warrant a post of it's own on a blog about running!). But, a lot of our life is the same old stuff too - work, run, repeat. Not to imply that any of that is boring or repetitive. Well, work can be. I guess I just haven't felt like taking the time to blog in my already seemingly over scheduled life.

So, let's start back with an update...

Running...I have still been running exclusively on the trails (other than a short slip back to the road for the sake of convenience once a couple of weeks ago) and am still loving it. I think K and I are both curious to see if I can really go back to road running this summer for training for St. George (which I confirmed my guaranteed entry for this year). The 5k/10k PR group starts up next week, so that will be a preliminary test of how I feel to be back on the track in well over a year now. I've been having some tightness in my shins again lately which is related to the tightness of my calves. It is apparent during the first couple of miles during my runs, but then dissipates once I stretch a few times. I have been trying to do better about rolling out my calves and have continued with my regular massages, but it's definitely something to continue to monitor. We have a hilly race in Waco on tap for this weekend (K is running 10, I am running 20).

Work...This week will mark a huge shift in my primary job responsibilities at work which should allow me to get back to doing what I enjoy - seeing kids. I will be handing off a lot of the managerial aspects of my job to another one of my staff members who has been promoted into a new position (which was created to compensate for the fact that we lost the other psychologist position to a different unit). This is the part of my job that I liked the least and that took up the majority of my time, so I am really hopeful that my morale will improve once I get back to doing clinical work again! I was invited for the second year in a row to speak to the UT law students in the juvenile justice clinic today, and I had such a good time! I really enjoyed sharing my knowledge with them and helping them become better attorneys in some small way. I am fortunate that I get to do a relatively good bit of training in my job, which I enjoy. Long-term, I got info this week about our retirement plan at work. If I maintain employment with the County, then I will be eligible for retirement at 52. That sounds so good! Although it means 20 more years...that doesn't sound so good.

Travel...We are definitely on the go. We have a lot of weekend trips planned for running - training runs and races - over the next few months. In terms of non-running trips, we are also getting ready to book our trip to Singapore at the end of May/beginning of June. K is going to take the remainder of his sabbatical (1 month) and I got approval from my boss today to take the 2 weeks off that I was hoping. K's best man moved out there shortly after our wedding last year and will be there until September, so we are going to take advantage of knowing someone there and going to visit. We're also hoping to go to Malaysia and Thailand while we're out there as well, although his friend mentioned that there has been some political unrest in Thailand so it might not be the best time to go.

K & m...It's amazing to me to realize that we have been married for 6 months now. I cannot believe that time has passed so quickly! We also recently had the 3-year anniversary of when we first met. What a great 3 years it has been!

So, that should catch you up a little bit.

No comments: