Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Back on track...

Tonight was my first track workout in over a year. Not kidding. When we arrived at the track, I even commented to K how big the track seemed - much bigger than I remembered and pretty far to go at the paces that I was supposed to hit.

This was our third workout in the PR 5k/10k program, and yes, only our first track workout. The previous two quality workouts had been a tempo and steady state run on a loop course on the road. I was definitely running at a much faster pace than I have been since I have been running on trail so much, but it wasn't necessarily anything too challenging. Having specific goal paces to hit tonight, especially the ones I chose to shoot for, was a bit intimidating for me especially just getting back into this. I end up with the whole fear of failure negative self-talk going through my head. I've got to slay those demons somehow...

Back to tonight's workout. The workout consisted of 1.75 mile warm-up to the East Side track; 2000 at 15k pace x 1 with 600 recovery; 1000 at 10k pace x 2 with 400 recovery; 400 at mile pace x 4 with 400 recovery (which I changed to 200 recovery); 1.75 mile cool-down back to Rogue. I decided to be way too ambitious for my own good and go with the paces for my BQ goal of a 3:40 marathon (8:24 MGP). So, here's how it went down...

2000 = 9:39 (9:42 goal) - this got me in a good place mentally to know I made this!
1000 = 4:48 (4:41 goal)
1000 = 4:50
400 = 1:48 (1:38 goal) - I knew I would not make that goal time (6:30 pace!)
400 = 1:44
400 = 1:42
400 = 1:39 - YEAH for starting conservatively, getting faster with each repeat, and coming pretty damn close to goal pace on the last one!

Much needed confidence booster to remind myself that I CAN run fast again and WILL run faster as I start training again.

No comments: