Monday, December 6, 2010

The new normal...

Ah, productivity feels so good. Finally on the other side of being sick for over a week, I managed to capitalize on my renewed energy and corral K into getting a few things done around the house after we got back from Dallas late yesterday afternoon. I was able to maintain that focus and take care of multiple errands this morning before work this afternoon. And, I feel a great sense of satisfaction, a feeling that I don't seem to experience much lately. K and I have a hard time juggling work, fun, and regular household responsibilities. It's been tougher than usual over the past few months, ya know during football season. I'm so thankful that football season is over (and that we'll be out of the country for most of the important upcoming bowl games), and I'm eager for our productivity to get back to pre-football levels. We still have a few projects/purchases that we need to take care of before I/we truly feel settled in our new house. I'm sure there will always be things that we want to do for the house over time, but we still haven't really reached a baseline, in my opinion, of getting settled.

It certainly doesn't help when we are on the go as much as we are sometimes. July and August were heavy travel periods for us, then we had a lull for a few months during football season, and now we're in the middle of holiday travel. Ohio, Dallas, Vail, and London, oh my!

I love, love, love the flexibility of managing my own schedule that private practice offers. I generally have the mornings free to workout, relax, or run errands since I see most of my clients in the afternoon at the end of the school day for the kiddos. This has certainly been an adjustment for both me and K as I may not get home until after K does. So, he's been taking on more of the dinner prep duties, which has been a nice treat for me. Quite the role reversal for us.

As for work, my practice is steadily growing. I'm not overwhelmingly busy, nor do I want to be. I'm still in a position where I am doing everything myself - scheduling appointments, billing, and the clinical stuff. Hands down, taking care of the billing and dealing with insurance are my least favorite (and, most frustrating) parts of my job. It has brought me to tears on multiple occasions. Not kidding. I'm still dealing with the unknown of how much I'm going to collect at any given time. So, the biggest drawback for me is never knowing how much money I'm going to have available at any point, but the perks of making my own schedule (and taking as much vacation as I want...and can afford) and being a clinician again make it worth it.

And, about that running thing? Stay tuned for an update on that as well.

No comments: